Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The First Christians

"'The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.' What I find interesting is the simple thought that the Christians didn't name themselves. But rather, they were called (or named) 'Christians' by those watching their lives. I wonder if it would be the same today. Could some one look at my life and name me a Christian?"
-Chris Tomlin, from the forward in Crazy Love by Francis Chan

This quote really stirs a lot of thought in me. The first time I read it, it did, and now again. I begin to think that I'm not sure people would label me a Christian or a follower of Christ. I don't think my life bears enough good fruit that without someone simply asking me, they would know.

But in addition to that thought, I got to thinking about raising my children. Am I raising them in a way that they even know, not only that we are Christians, but what that really means? I mean sure we say bedtime prayers, and sure we read Bible stories, but do I live my life in such a way that when they get older they will truly know how to rely on God and his Faithfulness and strength and not their own? I think that sure, they will definitely know what it's like to live the typical "American Christian" life. But I want so much more for them. I want them to be radical for Jesus, and how can I expect that if I myself am not living that way? I'm praying to be better, so that they can be better. I'm praying that even when it's hard, even when it's not what I want to do, that I would love the Lord enough to follow in His ways so that my children might also do the same.

No comments: